Saturday, September 10, 2011

The West Wing and Surpassing our Limits

A few months ago I started watching The West Wing, feeling that I was finally mature enough to understand, follow, make sense of, and value the show. It has been an amazing experience having such an insightful glimpse, fictional though it may be, into the American political landscape. Although so much of it is not true, many times it touches me very close, much closer than I believed a television show could touch my mind, my spirit, and my emotions.

I took a break from watching the show for a few weeks until tonight when I watched the first two episodes of season four, “Hours in America Part 1” and “Hours in America Part 2.” These episodes remind me of why I watched this show so avidly. I have drawn a few important ideas from these episodes which I believe are valuable enough to write about and share. The first idea stands on its own whereas the other two are connected.

Separated from their motorcade, to senior White House staffers accompanied by an assistant had to make their own way back to Washington D.C. from rural Indian. Along the way, the two staffers engaged many people in short discussions about the campaign. Each person or group appeared intelligent and slighted and responded, “I didn’t vote for him the first time, I won’t vote for him the second.” Finally, the secretary called the staffers out telling them they had always had their own agenda and failed to see the plight of those they were passing.

The two staffers are very intelligent characters and were fully engaged in their job, even though they were on the road and were unable to be in the White House. These intelligent people outside of their element clung to their element, instead of realizing the opportunity they had to have meaningful conversations. How often do we allow our intelligence to distance us from our current situation? How often do I? How often do we ignore others motivations and experiences in lieu of our own? Greater intelligence gives those who wield it greater ability to understand those who do not, not to lord a supreme, separate life from others. What meeting grounds can we create? How can gaps be bridged?

After the secretary lays that on the two gentleman, they met a man who has taken his daughter to visit Notre Dame, a university she may attend. He had a few remarkable sentiments. In one he held that, although other fathers have to force their children to practice the piano, he has to drag his away from it…he just needs teachers. This is in a school with no AP or art classes and 37 student classrooms. What will I be able to do for my students if I am in such a school? And how will I teach them if their parents never find them with book in hand, let alone have to drag them away from books?

Finally, there was a (fictional) tragedy in the episode in which there was a bombing of a sports event; 44 people were killed and 100+ were injured. Proceeding the tragedy, President Bartlet (Martin Sheen) gave a speech which really affected me. I will quote some choice lines from his speech:

“After the explosion some swimmers ran into the fire to help save some injured victims (pause) ran INTO the fire. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight… Every time we think we have reached our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and are reminded that that capacity may yet be limitless. This is a time for American Heroes; we will do what is hard, we will achieve what is great.”

So much present in so few lines. Running into fire with only a passing hope at surviving, only aspiring to help; nobility still exists in these people. I am not a religious man, but the next line still is an meaningful to an atheistic ear. Too many good people are dead. They have been rewarded. They will be remembered. But they are no longer with us. No matter where some person or group or society places the epitome of success or perseverance or depth of character, this supposed threshold will be surpassed. Who will be the ones to pass it? Us. Our incomparable success will not come easy, but that will make it all the more great.

I have worked with and observed many teachers, both mediocre and amazing. Although it still seems surreal that I will be colleagues with such remarkable individuals, it is the right time. Surrounded by too much apathy and neglect it is time to see what I can do and challenge myself to reach for an inner capacity that, who knows, may yet be limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment